How to Apply
The Allied Health Professional Development Fund (AHPDF) provides grants for professional development activities which enhance skill, knowledge, practice, and service delivery. The maximum amount of grant funding for any professional in any funding year is $1,500. Applicants who did not receive $1,500 in the previous fiscal year will be given priority for funding. Funding is not guaranteed.
Applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- be an audiologist, speech-language pathologist, dietitian, medical laboratory technologist, medical radiation technologist, occupational therapist, pharmacist, physiotherapist, or respiratory therapist (other professions are not eligible)
- be registered with their Ontario regulatory college when they are participating in the professional development activity
- be currently practicing or eligible to practice in their profession in Ontario
- not be employed outside of Ontario
- not have received AHPDF grants totalling $1,500 in the current funding year
Grants are to be used to pay for all or part of tuition costs, conference or workshop registration fees related to professional development activities that increase knowledge and skill. The professional development expenses must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- be one of the following expenses: tuition costs, workshops, or conference registration fees
- not be one of the following expenses: fees for exams, membership, or subscription; or costs not related to tuition or fees, such as books, tapes, travel, salary replacement, meals, accommodation
- be completed between April 1, 2014 and March 31, 2015
Recipients of funding from the Allied Health Professional Development Fund are issued T4A tax information in accordance with federal law. The T4A form outlines the total funding issued during the calendar year. This information is also reported to the Canada Revenue Agency. The T4A forms for the 2014 calendar year will be sent to recipients of funding by the end of February 2015. For information about Canadian income tax law please contact the Canada Revenue Agency at 1-800-959-8281 or visit www.cra-arc.gc.ca.
The following must be included in your completed application or it cannot be processed:
- A completed and signed application form
- A proof of payment (registration/tuition fees only)
- A proof of successful completion of (or attendance at) the professional development activity
- A void cheque or direct deposit form provided by your financial institution
Please note that Medical Laboratory Technologists who are applying to the fund for the first time are asked to provide copies of their registration cards from their regulatory college.
Applicants must submit an application within 90 days of the completion date of the course/professional development activity or by March 31, 2015, whichever comes first. NOTE: Applicants are advised that, due to the delay in posting the 2014/2015 application form, the 90-day deadline for submission of applications will not be enforced until September 1, 2014.
- Applications must be submitted using the application form currently posted on this website.
- Applications postmarked after March 31, 2015 are ineligible for funding in the 2014/2015 fiscal year
- Faxed information is marked by the fax machine as it is received. Faxed applications received after midnight on March 31 are ineligible (if at any time the fax lines are busy, e-mail or mail the application by March 31)
- Late and/or incomplete applications will be declined
- The applicant is required to keep a copy of his or her application, receipt, and proof of completion for his or her records
Please Be Advised!
Funding is not guaranteed. Only completed and signed application forms will be accepted. Applications from employers will not be considered. Late and/or incomplete applications will be declined.
Allied Health Professional Development Fund
5025 Orbitor Drive, Building 4, Suite 200
Mississauga, ON, L4W 4Y5
(905) 602-6012 or (905) 602-6078
(Please ensure that all required documents are scanned and attached)
Due to a high volume of submissions, we are unable to confirm the receipt of applications sent by fax, mail or e-mail. The applicant will be notified of the application's status within 6 weeks of the date of receipt.